About The National Data Management Authority/eGovernment Agency
The Government of Guyana is committed to improving the quality of life for all citizens while contributing to the overall development of our country. To this end, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has been identified as a key pillar of this Administration’s national development and governance strategy. A holistic approach has been adopted to ensure that the collaborative efforts of ministries and agencies achieve the shared vision of creating a digitally inclusive and accessible government.
As part of achieving this goal, the Government of Guyana has restructured the National Data Management Authority (NDMA), within the Ministry of Public Telecommunications, as a national priority. This is in keeping with government’s commitment to transform the delivery of public services, improve citizen-government interaction and enhance public administration. The repurposed NDMA is focused on the execution of the national eGovernance programme – leveraging eGovernment as a platform for sustainable economic and social development. This shall be manifest in a secure and resilient national ICT-enabled public service ecosystem and information society that promote transparency, equitable digital citizenship, inclusiveness, accountability and good governance for all Guyanese.
eGovernment: The development and provisioning of online government services to citizens and businesses. eGovernment, therefore, represents a vital approach in addressing public sector efficiency and achieving whole-of-government collaboration to accelerate development and enhance national security.
eGovernance: The application of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to deliver government services, exchange of information, communication transactions, integration of various stand-alone systems and services between Government-To-Customer (G2C), Government-To-Business (G2B), Government To Employees (G2E) and Government To Government (G2G) as well as back office processes and interactions within the entire government framework.
To be the ICT Vanguard that enables equitable digital citizenship for all Guyanese.
To develop and implement appropriate ICT solutions that will transform the delivery of Government services.
The benefits of the NDMA’s eGovernment Programme
The NDMA, since its establishment in 1983 under the National Data Management Authority Act, is responsible for the development of computerised solutions in the public sector to: satisfy its information needs, develop training and manpower programmes to ensure adequately trained personnel are available for the efficient operation of computer systems, to authorise all hardware and software purchases for the Public Sector, to establish and maintain reliable communication linkages in the Public Sector in order to achieve optimal utilisation and deployment of computer resources, and to establish guidelines for the recruitment and work conditions for ICT professionals.
Now merged with the e-Government Agency, the NDMA will retain its responsibilities while its scope of work will now be extended to include providing support to ministries and government agencies to enable them to provide government services to citizens on an interconnected mediation platform.
The effective functioning of the NDMA will yield: improved convenience and effectiveness at how the Private Sector delivers services to their customers, easier access to government services across all regions through the bridging of the digital divide, reduction in the cost for IT projects within the Public Sector, and improved responsiveness for citizens conducting regional and international business.
The general objectives of the NDMA are as follows:
• To improve delivery of Government services to the citizenry through the efficient use of Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs).
• To reduce digital inequality by providing access to ICTs in poor and remote communities across Guyana.
• To improve interoperability among Ministries, Government Agencies and Commissions.
• To harmonise Government ICT operations, maintenance, training, procurement, and human resources to improve capabilities and capacities. This will result in higher efficiency and cost savings.
• Personal Integrity
• Corporate Integrity
• Corporate Loyalty
• Agile Service
The NDMA comprises seven (7) main divisions:
1. CEO Secretariat (inclusive of Audit department, Operations Research department, Public Relations department and the Customer Relations department)
2. Policy, Planning and Training
3. Finance and Administrative Services Department (inclusive of Human Resources department, Procurement, Inventory department, Accounts department and the Administrative department)
4. Infrastructure (inclusive of the Data Centre Services department, Network Operations department, and Internet and Cloud Services department)
6. Community Development and Social Management